Monday, June 27, 2011

Thank You and 1949 Evening Gowns

Thank you a thousand times for the huge outpouring of support after my blog post last Monday.  As your comments and emails poured in during the day and throughout the rest of the week, it became crystal clear that my time spent here is worth every minute.  I appreciate every one of you and am so glad that you enjoy my work.  I want you to know that I approved and posted every comment that came in, including a couple of less-than-positive remarks from anonymous posters.  In response to a few suggestions, I have removed the word verification from comments and will be watermarking the photos in a less conspicuous way.  And now, back to work!

I wish I could tell you where Louise Dahl-Wolfe took these beautiful photos in 1949.  The background of the antique silvered mirror wall provides a perfect setting for three luscious party dresses that are perfect for summer.

Left:  Red and white polka dotted cotton organdy fashions a strapless pouf of a dress by Fred Perlberg.  Prarie points accent the edge of the bodice.  Sold for $29.95 in 1949 (about $284 in today's dollar.)
Right:  More organdy, this time in white printed with bouquets of roses.  The gown is by Ceil Chapman and has a ruched bodice with a shoulder wrap that extends from one side.  Sold for $70 in 1949 (about $665 in today's dollar.)

David Klein designed this dress to look like a flower.  White taffeta forms petals over netting in the skirt.  Sold for $35 in 1949 (about $332 in today's dollar.)