Thursday, October 21, 2010

Vintage Fur Coats - 1958

I am a firm believer that if you chose to wear fur, you should always chose vintage. That keeps coats and stoles already in existence out of our landfills and at the same time doesn't support the unneeded slaughter of today's animals for fashion. In showing images of vintage furs on this blog, I hope to inspire you and show you how beautiful they can be for the modern woman. Enjoy these images from 1958.

Scaasi for Ben Kahn Russian Crown sable jacket with large collar. Lined in red and gold lamé.

Emba pale gray mutation mink coat by Emeric Partos of Bergdorf Goodman.

Alixandre Empress Chinchilla stole.

Two Elsa Schiaparelli licensed Southwest African Persian Lamb jackets with mink collars.

Maximilian black Russian broadtail lamb completely lined in natural dark ranch mink.
Mink also forms the bateau neckline.

7 comments:

Louise said...

Totally agree with you!
It seems wrong to let vintage furs rot in a landfill, better to honour the animal by making use of the fur.
That last jacket is incredible!

info said...

Total agreement. I love fur and would always be happy to wear vintage furs. However, I am a firm believer that every part of an animal should be used when it is slaughtered - much more honouring to it's life that way. So if an animal is going to be killed anyway (for food, ill health etc) I would be happy to wear it's pelt even if it was a 'modern' fur. I don't support the rearing of animals in fur farms for JUST their fur.

Alexandriaweb said...

Agreed so much.
I'm a Vegan, but I'd rather see people wear vintage fur than for it to end up in landfill.
I think it's far more respectful to the animal that way.

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

This subject is so touchy for some people, I feel like I have to tiptoe around it. But there are so many gorgeous photos of vintage furs in my library that I want to share them with you. Thanks for your support!

Ashley Jewel T. said...

nice disclaimer. i agree with it!
and i LOVE the trimmed Schiaparellis.
cheers, -ashley

Gladys said...

I love the first one. I remember using an old bath rug as a mink stole when I was little. I always swore I would own one and now the only type I would own is vintage.

jessica said...

Great pics, and I could not agree more with your statement about fur. I also think the only way to wear it is vintage.. I just wish all the animal activist's agreed! I live in constant fear some mad person is going to come in and throw paint all over the few fur items I sell

Post a Comment