Friday, November 27, 2009

Fashion Illustrations - 1963

I am an art lover. When I travel, I spend a lot of time in museums looking at art. I admire and envy anyone who has talent with a pencil, pen, or brush. Don't get me wrong. I have my own talents. I can take a flat piece of fabric and use my sewing and tailoring skills to turn it into a beautiful garment. I can embellish that garment with embroidery or beadwork. I can knit and crochet. But, much as I would like, I cannot draw and I cannot paint.

It takes great talent to look at clothing and translate the look and feel of it onto paper. These illustrations from Harper's Bazaar magazine from 1963 are wonderful examples. Can you feel the fabrics? Can you see what these garments look like in real life? There are no artist signatures, but in tiny print at the corner of each page is the name Perint. These drawings are some of the early work of fashion illustrator Gladys Perint Palmer.

Georgia Bullock dress and matching fringed stole. Dress bodice in charcoal wool knit with skirt and stole in bias cut charcoal and taupe plaid brushed wool. Sold for $145 in 1963 (about $1010 in today's dollar).

Left: De De Johnson camel colored wool knit dress and jacket with leather half belt and buttons. Sold for $110 in 1963 (about $766 in today's dollar).
Right: Off-white worsted whipcord wool suit by Couture West. Sold for $160 in 1963 (about $1114 in today's dollar).

Left: Oscar of Beverly Hills camel's hair suit with welted seams. Sold for $185 in 1963 (about $1289 in today's dollar).
Right: Weatherbee windproof coat of beige cotton suede lined in Acrilan pile. Sold for $35 in 1963 (about $244 in today's dollar).

Pure white camel's hair coat with collar and lining in guanaco fur by Stanley Nelson.